Sunday, January 11, 2009

Blue Light Special

Two things I wanted to work on in 2009 were building my food storage and saving money. My cousin introduced me to a grocery coupon program called Grocery Smarts and yesterday was my first shopping trip to Albertson's using coupons. I will preface it by saying it took me about 2 hours to prepare, but in the end it was well worth it.


Here is a list of what I got (my receipt was 5 feet long!):

*21 boxes of cereal
*4 bags of cereal
*24 boxes of Rice-a-Roni
*1 box of pancake mix
*1 box of muffin mix
*2 bottles of Pantene shampoo
*2 bottles of Pantene conditioner
*4 cans of Barbasol shaving cream
*2 Crest toothbrushes
*2 tubes of Crest toothpaste
*2 Loreal mascara
*1 Cover girl lip gloss
*1 Cover girl nail polish
*2 bottles of Vitamin E
*1 pineapple
*6 pounds of boneless/skinless chicken breasts (not pictured)
*8 cans of Progresso soup
*6 boxes of Puffs tissue
*2 bottles of liquid Tide
*6 boxes of Betty Crocker brownies
*6 boxes of Betty Crocker cake mix
*10 boxes of Betty Crocker potatoes

That is $400 worth of groceries~ I paid $178 and got $75 gift card to Albertson's. So, basically I bought 110 items worth $400 for $100!!!!!! Needless to say, I think I am off to a good start on my New Year's resolutions!!!! And for obvious reasons, I am pretty confident I will keep this one up! Now, if only I could be this successful with my journal writing.....

8 comments:

Kara said...

Holly Cow!! That is amazing! How did you hear about this?

Lovell Family said...

I've been into couponing too, since a girl in the ward introduced me to it. I'm not super good at it, but I did get in on the alberton's deals. I think I went three separate times last week. I use pinchingyourpennies.com

Good luck!

Lisa Michelle said...

WOW! Way to go, Jenni!! I really want to become a coupon queen, but it seems to take so much prep and work - obviously, it's worth it though! You are inspiring me!

Lindsay said...

i recently started this too! i go to www.pinchingyourpennies.com (i think it routes to grocery smarts in the long run). is that what you do? if not, let me know your secrets.

Anne Southwick said...

Wow Jenni! Nice work.... I really have wanted to be able to do that. I literally gave up in the actual isle at the store with coupons in hand. They make it hard for a reason. So, impatient people like me don't do it! Keep it up!

Mary Kelly said...

Amazing deal! Keep an eye out for diaper coupons for me too!

Janelle said...

WOWSERS! Ok, I've gotten a few dollars off here and there, but HOLY COW! So basically, with the money you saved, you should fly down here and show me how to do that!

Janelle said...

PS, the blog title blue light special really brought back memories of the 80s!!! Hadn't thought of that in FOREVER!