Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Let there be Light

I don't know if I will be able to explain this correctly (I have already typed/deleted/retyped this a couple of times and I don't even understand what I am talking about) so good luck!

With our downstairs addition we had the existing foundation walls to deal with. Since concrete is so heavy it is very expensive to break up and haul away. So, instead of dealing with all of that, our contractor cut out the area of the existing foundation wall that would be the door ways to the new rooms and pushed it outside. They are then going to pour the foundation flooring on top of the slab (essentially burying the slab under the new foundation). I don't know if that made sense, but here are a couple of pictures that hopefully help......

There is the slab of existing foundation wall laying flat in the ground with a big piece of plywood covering up the hole in our house.



Here is the view when you walk into my laundry room now. Since they only needed to take out the concrete part, the top half of wall is still in tact.


It sure does let it a LOT more light! I am afraid that it is also going to let in a lot more bugs, dirt and let out a lot more children and cats! So, thank goodness they put up the plywood to cover the hole. It is going to stay like that for at least 2 more weeks I think.


2 comments:

Mary Kelly said...

Awesome- plenty of natural light!

Kara said...

So what are the new rooms going to be? How cool and exciting!