Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rated R

So my mom got Tanner and Jackson these walkie talkies for Christmas last year. My boys love the idea of them, but still haven't quite mastered how they are supposed to work. Usually they just stand in the same room shouting into them asking the other person if they can hear them (which of course they can because they are yelling at each other from 5 feet away).

Well, this morning Jackson and one of his friends had turned them on and we picked up another frequency (I am very technically challenged, so I am sure I'm not using the correct terms) where we could hear other people talking. The kids thought it was pretty cool and started listening. Turns out it is the frequency that the construction crews by our house are using as they are working on the roads. It was pretty fun to listen to for a little while~ they were talking about dumping asphalt, picking up rocks, you could hear tractors backing up and then someone got upset about something and they all started using quite a bit of REALLY bad language. I don't think that the kids picked up on any of the specific words, but I quickly grabbed the walkie talkies and they are now hiding in my closet (where they will probably stay for the next couple of months until the construction is done just to be safe).

I never would have guessed that a G rated toy could pick up on R rated language!



2 comments:

Mary Kelly said...

Yikes! Hopefully those words won' be repeated.

Jeniece said...

Bring them out at night when the construction crews go home. Crazy...I don't think I would've thought to monitor walkie-talkies.