Sunday, June 3, 2012

Girls Rule.... Boys Drool

Well, it's official~ girls will be running this household!  We found out on Friday that we are having 2 little girls!  Shayden is super excited, the boys aren't so sure yet.  Vivian doesn't know what's going on, but I think she will be pretty happy to have 2 little sisters to play dress up, house, dolls, etc with once they all get a little older.

Our appointment on Friday was reallllly long!  An ultra sound lasting 2 1/2 hours!  By the time they were done I had so much of that gel stuff on my tummy~ the towel they used to wipe it all off was completely wet!  And they still didn't get it all off.  But..... everything looks great, so it was all worth it!!!!!  They are just 1 day apart from each other in growth, which is wonderful.  And so far all of their anatomy looks great!  Our doctor told us there wasn't anything she saw that concerned her!  They will be taking a closer look at the girl's hearts in 2 weeks~ just to get some clearer pictures and so that they will be a little bigger (right now their hearts are the size of a pinkie finger nail- WOW!)

I keep feeling like it is taking forever for them to get her, but at the same time it is all going to happen so fast!  I have an appointment set up at 21 and 23 weeks.  At the 23 week appointment we will also meet with a neonatologist to start discussing the different scenarios of what to expect when the twins are born (depending on how early they are delivered- which could be any time between 26 and 32 weeks!)  Which means that if there was a problem, these babies could be born as early as 7 weeks from now!  Yikes!!!!  We are definitely not ready for that!

Over my last couple of appointments my doctor has let me know that there is another mom, being seen by a different doctor at the hospital, who is also pregnant with mo-mo twins!  She has been talking to both of us to see if we would be willing/want to get in touch with each other just to have someone else to talk to who is in the same situation.  At this last appointment she was finally able to tell me her name and she was going to give her my phone number.  This mom is about 2 months ahead of me and just went into the hospital on bed rest, so I am really anxious to talk to her and visit her to get a better idea of what to expect.

About 2 weeks ago we were able to go and visit some friends that have a baby in the NICU at the same hospital they will be delivering at.  Their little boy was born at 32 weeks (her water broke and they couldn't stop her labor).  He was only 4 pounds 1 ounce but he is doing amazing!!!!!  It was good for both Korby and I  in different ways.  It was good for me just to get a sense of where we will be, what the schedule is like, what the rooms are like.  I do a lot better when I know before hand what to expect, so it was really helpful for me to just see what it was going to be like.  Korby on the other hand was terrified!!!  We are both so worried and stressed about just getting the babies here alive, that he hadn't given really any thought to what it would be like once they were actually born.  32 weeks is our max, our best case scenario!  It is very likely that our babies could be 3 or even 2 pounds when born with significantly more problems.  So it was great for Korby to get a sense of just how tiny these little babies will be and how delicate their situation will be.

To end on a happy note~ I am starting to feel the babies move!  It is going to be so reassuring to be able to know on a daily basis that if my babies are still moving, then things are still going well.  Even though I go in every 2 weeks and I get to see them each time, those 13 days in between appointments it is so hard to always remain optimistic about the situation.  So even though I will soon be complaining about being kicked by 4 feet, punched by 4 hands, with 2 heads and 2 bums that will stick out and push~ I will be so thankful for every movement!!!  I will be so thankful for my girls!!!!!!!
 

6 comments:

Mary Kelly said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! 2 itty bitty girls!!!
I am so happy that you are feeling them move around. What a difference a week can make huh? I can't wait to talk to you about everything and I am VERY interested about when they will do a fetal echo and check out the hearts.
Now on to the hard part... picking names!!!

Russell and Jillian said...

How exciting! And Shayden probably had a time when she didn't think she'd have a sister. Crazy how things change!

Jeniece said...

Sweet girls! I read somewhere that 75% of mo-mo twins were girls. Strange how that is, but I'm so excited for you and your sweet family. 7 weeks! Yikes that would be quick. I hope they come at the best case scenario to up the birth weight and hopefully lessen the after-birth complications. You're in our prayers!

Lisa Michelle said...

GIRLS!!!! How awesome, Jenni!! That will be so fun. I am glad you're feeling lots of little jabs -- thinking of you often these days. Good luck with all the preparations!

JoLayna said...

I guess I fully expected the babies to be girls because when I read your post, I thought it was old news. Hmm.

Yay for Shayden! What could be better than 3 little sisters?

Andrea said...

Hope everything goes well! Glad that you are keeping us posted! :)